Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Waiting Waitress

You'd think working at a restaurant would be a dream come true for a gal like me.

I get to be surrounded by food all day? Sounds good.

I get to see the behind the scenes goings-on from pan to plate? Too neat!

I don't get to make or eat any of said food? Wha?!?!

Now, don't get me wrong - I love my job. I am a pretty darn good waitress if I do say so myself (a table actually gave me a round of applause last week. I was floored. I gave an awkward little bow and then scuttled away). And when people compliment the food I get a little puffed up too - even if I didn't get to make it. Plus,  there's the major perk of taking home all my tips (good or bad) the same night I work. No waiting on a paycheck? I'm game.

But there are downsides too. Obviously not getting to eat the food is one. Thinking about the smells alone is enough to make my mouth water. Having to set down plate after plate and pan after pan for people who may not appreciate the food as much as me...well...it hurts sometimes.

The worst thing though, is that all the time spent at work means a lot of time spent out of my own kitchen. It is a sad thing. I have all these ideas and recipes I want to try but don't always have the time with my schedule. By the time I get home I'm so beat that I usually just put together a quick dinner of leftovers and veggies - tasty, but not necessarily blog worthy. I've got a few double shifts this week so I won't be in the kitchen too much, please bear with me.

The great thing about being away from my ever lovin' oven is that no matter how long I am gone, it will always be there. Ready and waiting.

So glad we had this talk :)

No comments:

Post a Comment