Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sunday Morning Rain Is Fallin'

Ok, rain isn’t actually falling but, that song has been in my head all morning (damn you Maroon 5 and your catchy vocals!). The weather here is actually beautiful – sunny, wispy clouds, a slight breeze. Really a wonderful August day. 

But there’s a rain cloud here too. And it is hanging right over my head. 

This morning, I had to say goodbye to one of my best friends. She is on her way back to college and has left me here for another two weeks by myself.While I know that I will see her again, (in just one week's time actually) it is still hard to say goodbye to someone you care about. To know that they have this whole other life to go to and enjoy and thrive in.

So, to console myself I made these. Coffee and Doughnut Ice Cream Sandwiches.


In honor of best friends and Sundays everywhere I am not turning on my oven today. Instead, I am going to make these cute little sammys, drink coffee in my pajamas, and enjoy one of my last Sundays at home. 

Coffee and Doughnut Ice Cream Sandwiches (adapted from Food Network Magazine, June 2011)

1 box chocolate frosted mini cake doughnuts (or you could go a little crazy and used the full sized, I wouldn’t hate you for it)

Coffee ice cream

Cut doughnuts in half horizontally. Using a small ice cream scoop (or melon baller, tea spoon, regular spoon, etc.) put ice cream on one half of the doughnut. Top with other half. Place in freezer for 10-15 minutes to firm up.

Sandwiches can be stored in an air tight container for up to two weeks. 

Tip: I found it useful to put the doughnuts in the freezer *before* trying to cut and fill them. They are a little more sturdy if already cold. 


Now, what to do with the leftover coffee ice cream?

No comments:

Post a Comment