Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Cranberry & Gorgonzola Crostini with Balsamic Drizzle


I knew it would happen eventually. The day was going to come when I ran out of Christmas cookies. Sadly, that day came all too soon this year (or, last year, I guess…since it was 2012. Woa).


I was still on winter break when the last bits of frosting and broken crumbs disappeared. The well had dried up. I was out of cookies. Meaning I was out of breakfast. I needed a new sugar fix, and I needed it fast. I couldn’t just stop consuming unnecessary amounts of sugar first thing in the morning. I’m not a barbarian.

So, I started making cinnamon sugar toast. In massive quantities. Every day. I really and truly was going through bread at an alarming rate.  But somehow, on the day I came back to school, there was still half a loaf of whole wheat French bread sitting on the counter (because the whole wheat goodness totally makes cinnamon sugar toast a health food, it’s science). My dad wasn’t going to eat it, so I brought it back to school.


But now, in my apartment, with no cinnamon sugar shaker premixed or softened butter in a dish next to the toaster, I can’t really justify making cinnamon sugar toast for breakfast every day of the week. So I had to find something else to do with the bread. Something as equally simple and quick as cinnamon sugar toast, but a tad healthier.

Whole wheat toast smeared with tart cranberry sauce and covered with tangy gorgonzola cheese get a punch from a balsamic vinegar reduction that is foolproof. Eaten alone or on top of a bed of mixed greens, these Cranberry Gorgonzola Crostini are sweet without sugar and delicious without a lot of effort.


Cranberry Gorgonzola Crostini with Balsamic Drizzle

4 slices whole wheat French bread

2 TBSP cranberry sauce (fresh preferred)

Crumbled gorgonzola cheese

¼ cup balsamic vinegar

Preheat broiler and toast bread on both sides until golden brown. Spread cranberry sauce over toast, top with cheese and toast again.

While bread is toasting, add balsamic vinegar to small sauce pan. Heat on high until boiling and reduced by half. Drizzle over toasts.

Serve warm solo or on top of salad.


I still want cookies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment